This Instant Pot carrots recipe is made in no time at all and makes for a delicious vegetable side dish to go with whatever main you serve. Replace honey for a vegan version!
Instant Pot Honey Soy Carrots With Sesame Seeds
If you don’t typically use your Instant Pot to cook vegetables, this is a good recipe to start with. You can also learn more about cooking veggies in your pressure cooker in our Vegetables 101 Guide post here.
The key to cooking things like carrots or broccoli well with the pressure cooker is to do it very quickly. That’s why we love Instant Pot for veggies, because you can have a side dish ready in no time at all.
Cooking carrots in your Instant Pot
For this recipe, we’re using a bunch of baby carrots, simply peeled and steamed under pressure, then quickly sautéed with honey, soy sauce and sesame seeds. If you’re roasting some chicken or pan-frying some fish, or grilling some tofu, then this is a great veg dish to make on the side with your IP at the same time.
You can use larger carrots, sliced in halves instead of using baby carrots. For a vegan version, replace honey with agave syrup or maple syrup, or some brown sugar. For a paleo and gluten-free version, replace soy sauce with coconut aminos or Tamari sauce.
Instant Pot Honey Soy Carrots
- 8 baby carrots (4 larger carrots halved lengthways)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or minced
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or wheat-free Tamari
- ½ tablespoon white or black sesame seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped scallions /green onions, to garnish
- Add the carrots and water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 0 minutes. That’s correct! We basically want the pressure to build up and then stop, as that’s enough time to cook the carrots. After 3 beeps, the IP will start to build up the pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, use a quick release method to let off the pressure. Simply turn the steam valve on the lid to Venting and let the steam out (be careful when you do this). Remove the carrots and discard of the water.
- Place the inner pot back inside the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function key. Add the honey soy glaze ingredients (except for the scallions) to the pot and stir for a minute until it starts to get sticky. Add the carrots back in and stir through the sauce until well coated. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the Sauté, and serve with chopped scallions on top.